Visiting Rottnest Island
Visitors to Rottnest Island are sure to enjoy the beaches, restaurants and shopping. Around the area, top sights include Cottesloe Beach, City Beach and Scarborough Beach.
- You'll find 1130 Expedia hotels and other accommodation options in the larger area of Perth
- The closest major airport is in Perth, WA (PER), 26.8 mi (43.1 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing and Staying in Rottnest Island
The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the beaches and these places to visit: The Basin, Geordie Bay and Longreach Bay. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Oliver Hill Battery and Salmon Bay.
This is a top place to stay based on our user reviews:
- Rottnest Island Authority - With a stay at this 3-star resort, guests can enjoy access to 7 restaurants and 2 beach bars, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its family-friendly amenities and beach locale.
Popular places to see in the area include Cottesloe Beach, located 14 mi (22.6 km) from the heart of the city, and City Beach, which is 14.9 mi (24.1 km) away.
Getting around Rottnest Island
To venture out into the surrounding area, hop aboard a train at Oliver Hill Station or Settlement Station. Rottnest Island might not have many public transport choices so consider a car rental to maximise your time.
Dressing for Rottnest Island
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 27°C during the day and 18°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 25°C, whilst the average at night is 13°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 20°C with night-time averages of 12°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 26°C and night-time averages of 13°C
- Average annual rainfall for Rottnest Island is 619 millimetres
- Usually February and January are the hottest months with an average of 27°C, whereas August and July are often coldest, averaging 12°C