Families will find kid-friendly activities in Portlaoise, and visitors give high marks for the top-notch restaurants. Tourists who journey to this welcoming city can discover its bars, sporting events and shopping. A top sight in the area is Kildare Shopping Village. In Portlaoise, there are 6 hotels and other accommodation options to choose from.
Sightseeing and Staying in Portlaoise
Notable city landmarks like Emo Court and Rock of Dunamase might be worth a visit. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are O'Moore Park and Portlaoise Golf Club.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 6 hotels and other lodging options to select from in Portlaoise. Below are top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Ivyleigh House - With a stay at this 5-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast and convenient parking.
- The Killeshin Hotel - Our customers like the pool and comfortable, quiet rooms at this hotel. This 4-star hotel features a restaurant, an indoor pool and free parking.
- Maldron Hotel Portlaoise - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and breakfast.
A top sight in the surrounding area is Kildare Shopping Village, 17.9 mi/28.8 km from the city centre.
Getting around Portlaoise
To see more of the larger area, hop on a train at Portlaoise Station. Portlaoise may not have many public transport choices so consider renting a car to explore the city.
Dressing for Portlaoise
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 11°C, whilst night-time temperatures stay around 2°C
- From April to June, the average is 19°C during the day and 3°C at night
- July to September sees average temperatures of 19°C during the day and 8°C at night
- Between October and December, you can expect 15°C as the daytime average and 2°C as the night-time average
- Portlaoise gets about 813 millimetres of rain per year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 19°C, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 2°C