Not quite 4 star
I recently stayed at Latitude 13 in Lilongwe. The hotel is extremely modern and the rooms are huge. However, there some things that need to be improved. For the cost and the number of stars (4) these changes need to be made fairly urgently so as not to have dissapointed guests.
1. I stay in hotels all over Africa as part of my job and I have never stayed in a 4+ star hotel which does not have a kettle with tea and coffee in the room. I think this is meant to encourage guests to order from the restaurant (which is prohibitively expensive, particularly if you order coffees and teas often). As someone who works late into the night, I often really appreciate being able to make my own tea/coffee from within my room.
2. The food served in the restaurant is really amazing but the room has no phone so you do have to keep walking up and down if you have a question for reception/would like to make a room service order.
3. The wifi although free is extremely slow and unreliable. If you would like to do work from your room, I would suggest purchasing a dongle with an internet bundle.
4. I booked a airport pick up with the hotel prior to arrival. The taxi driver did not come. I paid more for an independent taxi.
5. Finally, although the bathroom is really stunning there is extremely low water pressure in the shower and the bath. Also, on the day I arrived my mini "designer" soaps were not replenished and so I had a mini empty bottle of shampoo and conditioner which was rather strange