Families will find kid-friendly activities in Lausanne, and visitors give high marks for the lakeside setting, top-notch restaurants and shopping. Tourists who journey to this walkable city can discover its museums, cafes and cathedrals. Top sights in the city include Lausanne Cathedral, Olympic Museum and International Olympic Committee.
- There are 41 hotels and other accommodation options in Lausanne
- The closest major airport is in Geneva (GVA-Cointrin Intl.), 32 mi (51.4 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing and Staying in Lausanne
The city is well known for its museums and cultural venues like Olympic Museum and Lausanne Historical Museum. The city is notable for its cathedrals and landmarks like Lausanne Cathedral, Place of Riponne, and Sauvabelin Tower. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are International Olympic Committee and Palais de Beaulieu.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 41 hotels and other lodging options to pick from in Lausanne. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Lausanne Palace - Guests who stay at this 5-star hotel in Lausanne Center can enjoy access to a full-service spa and 4 restaurants, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its pool and helpful staff.
- Beau-Rivage Palace - Our customers like the helpful staff at this hotel. This 5-star hotel features a restaurant, an outdoor pool and an indoor pool.
- Château d'Ouchy - This 4-star hotel features a restaurant, an outdoor pool and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and breakfast.
Popular places to visit outside the city include Evian Casino, 8.5 mi/13.7 km from the heart of the city, and Evian Thermal Spa, which is 8.5 mi (13.8 km) away.
Getting around Lausanne
To see more of the surrounding area, hop aboard a train at Lausanne Station or Lausanne Ouchy Station. Lausanne may not have many public transport options to choose from so consider a car rental to maximise your time.
Dressing for Lausanne
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 12°C, whilst night-time temperatures stay around -2°C
- From April to June, the average is 23°C during the day and 3°C at night
- July to September sees average temperatures of 25°C during the day and 9°C at night
- Between October and December, you can expect 17°C as the daytime average and 0°C as the night-time average
- About 29 millimetres of rain falls on Lausanne each year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 24°C, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of -1°C