Visitors to Guimarães are sure to enjoy the gardens. Tourists can also enjoy the city's monuments, museums and cafes. Top sights around the area include Citania de Briteiros, Sameiro Sanctuary and Bom Jesus do Monte.
- There are 57 hotels and other accommodation options in Guimarães
- The closest major airport is in Porto (OPO-Dr. Francisco de Sa Carneiro), 24.2 mi (39 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Vila Real (VRL), 32 mi (51.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Guimarães
The city's cultural venues include Museu de Alberto Sampaio and Centro Internacional das Artes Jose Guimaraes. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Citania de Briteiros, Guimaraes Castle, and Paco dos Duques de Braganca. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Estadio D. Alfonso Henriques and Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Consolacao e Santos Passos.
In Braga, there are 57 hotels and other accommodation options to make it easy to plan your perfect holiday retreat at an affordable rate. These are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Pousada Mosteiro de Guimarães - Monument Hotel - With a stay at this 4-star pousada, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its pool and helpful staff.
- Hotel da Oliveira - Our customers like the convenient parking and central location at this hotel. This 4-star hotel in Old Town features free breakfast, a restaurant and free WiFi.
- Hotel Mestre de Avis - This 2-star hotel features free WiFi, a bar and a coffee shop. Expedia customers like its breakfast and comfortable, quiet rooms.
Outside the city, top places to visit include Sameiro Sanctuary, located 7.8 mi (12.6 km) from the heart of the city, and Bom Jesus do Monte, which is 8.8 mi (14.2 km) away.
Dressing for Guimarães
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 17°C and the night-time average to be 4°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 24°C during the day and 8°C at night
- July to September averages 25°C during the day and 12°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 22°C during the day and 5°C at night
- About 1270 millimetres of rain falls on Guimarães each year
- Hottest months are usually August and July with an average temperature of 24°C, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 5°C