History buffs will enjoy a visit to Guimaraes, though all guests will undoubtedly appreciate the castle, museums and monuments. This welcoming city also attracts visitors with its cafes, sightseeing and restaurants. A top attraction is Citania de Briteiros.
- There are 24 Guimaraes hotels
- August is the most expensive month to travel here, whereas March is the most economical
- Closest major airport is in Porto (OPO-Dr. Francisco de Sa Carneiro), 24.2 mi (39 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing around Guimaraes
- Top activities include sightseeing and cycling, whereas Rabada Park is a great place to visit
- Popular cultural attractions include Museu de Arte Primitiva Moderna, Galeria de Arte Jose Gomes Alves, and Museu de Alberto Sampaio
- Notable for its historic sites, castle, UNESCO site and landmarks such as Citania de Briteiros, Antigos Paços do Concelho, and Largo da Oliveira
- The gardens and mountains provide a picturesque setting and Santa Barbara Garden is one place worth visiting
- Everyone, not just sports fans, will find lots of reasons to cheer at a game or event at Dom Afonso Henriques Stadium, Estadio D. Alfonso Henriques or Guimarães Sports Pavilion
Staying in Guimaraes
With 25 hotels and other accommodations in Guimaraes, you'll find holiday getaways at affordable rates. There are 15 hotels ranging from GBP 32 to GBP 114 per night.
For trips with large groups, you might consider a larger hotel like the highly rated Hotel de Guimaraes.
You may appreciate one of these traveller-recommended, smaller hotels and specialty properties for a charming or stylish getaway:
- Casa do Juncal
- EMAJ Guimaraes Boutique Hotel
Casa do Juncal, a favourite with Expedia travellers, has a 5 out of 5 user rating. Also highly rated by guests are EMAJ Guimaraes Boutique Hotel and Hotel de Guimaraes.
Dressing for Guimaraes
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 17°C, whereas night-time temperatures stay around 4°C
- From April to June, the average temperature is 24°C during the day and 8°C at night
- July to September sees average temperatures of 25°C during the day and 12°C at night
- Between October and December, you can expect 22°C as the daytime average and 5°C as the nighttime average
- Guimaraes gets about 1276 millimetres of rain per year