Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Alajuela, and visitors give high marks for the shopping, top-notch restaurants and beautiful gardens. This city also attracts tourists with its architecture. Top sights around the area include Costa Rica National Stadium (Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica), Museum of Costa Rican Art and La Paz Waterfall Gardens.
- You'll find 605 Expedia hotels and other accommodation options in the larger area of San Jose
- The closest major airport is in San Jose (SJO-Juan Santamaria Intl.), 1.9 mi (3 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in San Jose (SYQ-Tobias Bolanos Intl.), 7.1 mi (11.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Alajuela
The city's volcanoes and gardens provide a picturesque setting and places to visit include Central Park. Shopping is one of the favourite things to do, so consider an excursion to City Mall, Central Market Alajuela and Plaza Real Alajuela. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Alajuela Cathedral and Estadio Alejandro Morera Soto.
In Rio Segundo, you'll find 68 hotels and other accommodation options to make planning your holiday retreat at an affordable rate. Below are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Hotel Suites Merlyn Aeropuerto - This 3-star hotel features free breakfast, a restaurant and an outdoor pool. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast and overall value.
- Hotel Pibi Boreal - Our customers like the breakfast and helpful staff at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free airport pick-up, along with a private balcony.
- Casa Victoria - This 3-star bed & breakfast in Brasil features free breakfast, free WiFi and free parking. Expedia customers like its convenient parking and comfortable, quiet rooms.
Top places to visit in the area include Costa Rica National Stadium (Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica), located 9.6 mi (15.4 km) from the city centre, and Museum of Costa Rican Art, which is 10.2 mi (16.5 km) away.
Dressing for Alajuela
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 28°C, whilst night-time temperatures stay around 16°C
- From April to June, the average is 29°C during the day and 18°C at night
- July to September sees average temperatures of 27°C during the day and 17°C at night
- Between October and December, you can expect 27°C as the daytime average and 16°C as the night-time average
- Alajuela gets about 1860.00 millimetres of rain per year
- April and May are usually the hottest months averaging 28°C, while January and December are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 16°C