Montserrat Tour with Skip-the-Line to The Black Madonna
Cleaning and safety practices
- One of the most important pilgrimage sites of Catalonia
- 12th-century Black Virgin sculpture at the Royal Basilica
- Home to L'Escolania, one of oldest boys' choirs in Europe
- Informative audiovisual exhibition on history of the site
- Montserrat monastery, considered a source of Catalan pride
Tour with Cog-wheel Train
Live Commentary in English and a second language.
What's included, what's not
Know before you book
- Children 3 and younger are complimentary.
- You must be able to climb and descend stairs and to walk on unpaved or uneven terrain.
- Check-in is 15 minutes prior to the booked tour start time.
- The duration of the tour includes the return to the destination.
- This tour will have a maximum of 25 travellers per guide.
- Upgrade your experience with the option that includes the access to the basilica when the Boys’ Choir is singing
What you can expect
Leave our office in central Barcelona on an air-conditioned coach towards Montserrat. After a 1h drive on the highway, board the cog-wheel train up the mountain and enjoy the amazing views over the area. Admire the Mountain’s peculiar morphology, which comes from the Catalan words Mont (mountain) and Serrat (serrated). World-famous for its rocky geography, Montserrat beautiful scenery was declared National Park in 1987 to protect its natural and cultural wealth.
Follow your local guide through the site and learn about the history and architectural style of the Monastery. A community of 80 monks currently lives and follow the rule of Saint Benedict in Montserrat. Autumn in love with the Gothic and Renaissance details of the basilica and sanctuary. Learn about the legend of the miraculous apparition of the Madonna and Child in the cave of Santa Cova.To this day their wood carving is kept in the Church of the monastery, which you will be able to visit. The figure is popularly known as La Moreneta(The Black Madonna) as a result of a varnish reaction.
Besides the main area, there are a great number of small churches and trails you can follow. You will be given free time to taste the finest liquors, shop for locally produced treats or visit the audio visual exhibition once our guided tour finishes.
Upgrade your experience with the option that includes the access to the basilica when the Boys’ Choir is singing. This is one of the oldest Boys’ Choir in Europe, and they sing every day form Monday to Friday at 13:00h. This option also includes the skip the line to the Black Madonna, “La Moreneta”.
Cleaning and safety practices
Enhanced cleanliness measures
- High-touch surfaces cleaned and disinfected
- Vehicles and venues cleaned with disinfectants
- Contactless ticket redemption
- Social distancing measures in place
- Protective shields in place at main contact areas
- Personal protective equipment worn by staff
- Temperature checks given to staff
- Masks required
- Hand sanitiser provided