Architecture River Tour from Navy Pier
Cleaning and safety practices
- Chicago skyline view from the water on a guided cruise
- Insightful commentary from onboard architecture expert
- Sights include the iconic Willis, Tribune & Hancock towers
- More than 40 historic structures & modern skyscrapers to see
- Unique perspective of striking urban skyline from the water
What's included, what's not
Know before you book
- Children 2 and younger are complimentary.
- Check-in is 15 minutes prior to your booked departure time.
- Please Note: Between November 1st and April 15th, the Architecture River Tour will only last for 60 minutes.
- All guests are required to wear face masks
What you can expect
Equal parts boat and buildings, this river cruise gives you a from-the-water perspective of Chicago skyline and up-close views of its most iconic structures. Board an open-roofed vessel and float with the current as an architecture expert shares the fascinating history behind the Windy City's most renowned buildings.
Hop onto your vessel at Navy Pier, steer towards the Chicago River—a 156-mile (251-km) system of streams and canals—and cut directly through the heart of the city. Once vital to the early shipping success of Chicago, this winding body of water now offers the perfect platform for admiring its surrounding architectural marvels.
Your cruise takes you past more than 40 points of interest, including the Tribune Tower—a neo-Gothic building constructed in 1925—and the Willis Tower, the second-tallest building in the United States. Crane your neck up at the John Hancock Tower, a skyscraper equipped with an impressive observation deck perched 1,000 feet (304 m) high.
As you glide through the city, a knowledgeable guide and architecture buff shares stories about the distinctive designs, striking construction, and steel-and-cement feats created by world-famous architects like Mies van der Rohe, Helmut Jahn, and Louis Skidmore. From the IBM and USG buildings to the Fulton House and Citicorp Centre, this tour is the perfect snapshot of Chicago's architectural gems.
Please note: all guests are now required to wear face masks
Disclaimer: Exposure to COVID-19 is an inherent risk in any public location where people are present; we cannot guarantee you will not be exposed during your visit. By visiting Shoreline Sightseeing and boarding a vessel, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19. By boarding a vessel you agree to adhere to all guidelines set forth in this notice and comply with all safety signage, instructions and rules. All guests over the age of two boarding a vessel are required to wear face masks covering the nose and mouth throughout their visit. Bring and wear your own face masks or coverings to limit exposure to and spreading of infection. Accommodation may be made on a case-by-case basis for persons with disabilities, health concerns, religious restrictions, or other circumstances that Shoreline Sightseeing discretion warrant a modification of this face mask requirement. Any guest without a mask will be able to purchase one at a a Shoreline Sightseeing ticket booth.
Cleaning and safety practices
Enhanced cleanliness measures
- High-touch surfaces cleaned and disinfected
- Vehicles and venues cleaned with disinfectants
- Contactless ticket redemption
- Social distancing measures in place
- Protective shields in place at main contact areas
- Personal protective equipment worn by staff
- Temperature checks given to staff
- Masks required
- Hand sanitiser provided
- Individually wrapped food options available