Visitors can enjoy all that Tsuruoka has to offer including the temples, aquarium and theme park. Tourists can also enjoy the city's opera houses, waterfront and mountain views. A top sight in the city is Kamo Aquarium.
- There are 53 hotels and other accommodation options in Tsuruoka
- The closest major airport is in Sakata (SYO-Shonai), 11.3 mi (18.2 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Yamagata (GAJ), 32.5 mi (52.2 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Tsuruoka
Cultural venues in the city include Sakata City Museum of Art, Sakata Observatory and Museum and Ken Domon Museum of Photography. Attractions like Kamo Aquarium, Kart Soleil Mogami and Gassan are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for landmarks like Dainichibo Temple, Dewasanzan Shrine and Yudonosan Shrine.
In Shonai, there are 53 accommodation choices and hotels to make it easy to plan your holiday getaway at an affordable rate. Here you'll find highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- SHONAI HOTEL SUIDEN TERRASSE - This 3.5-star hotel features a restaurant, free WiFi and free parking. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Hotel Route-Inn Tsuruoka Inter - This 3-star hotel features free breakfast, a restaurant and a computer station.
- Hotel Inn Sakata - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and free parking, along with free WiFi.
Dressing for Tsuruoka
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 12°C during the day and -3°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 24°C, whilst the average at night is 2°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 28°C with night-time averages of 13°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 22°C and night-time averages of -2°C
- About 1205 millimetres of rain falls on Tsuruoka each year
- Usually August and July are the hottest months with an average of 26°C, whereas February and January are often coldest, averaging -3°C