Visitors to Thurso are sure to enjoy the bars. Tourists can also enjoy so much more including its northern lights.
- There are 30 hotels and other accommodation options in Thurso
- The closest major airport is in Wick (WIC), 18.4 mi (29.6 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Kirkwall (KOI), 33.3 mi (53.6 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Thurso
The city's cultural venues include Caithness Horizons and Strathnaver Museum. Notable city landmarks like Dunnet Head Lighthouse and Castle of Mey might be worth a visit. The city's natural beauty is on display at Dunnet Bay Beach, Strathy Bay and Farr Beach.
As you plan your holiday getaway, you'll find 30 hotels and other lodging options to pick from in Thurso. Here are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Strathy Inn - This 3-star inn features free breakfast, a restaurant and free parking. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its dining options and bar.
- Melvich Hotel - Our customers like the helpful staff at this hotel. This 3-star hotel features free breakfast, a restaurant and free WiFi.
- Bettyhill Hotel - This 3.5-star hotel features free breakfast, a restaurant and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms.
Getting around Thurso
With so many choices for transport, exploring all of Thurso is easy. If you want to venture outside the area, hop aboard a train at Thurso Station. You can take a ferry to see more of the region.
Dressing for Thurso
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 8°C during the day and 2°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 15°C, whilst the average at night is 3°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 16°C with night-time averages of 7°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 13°C and night-time averages of 2°C
- Average annual rainfall for Thurso is 31 millimetres
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 15°C, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 2°C