Couples looking to get away will find a romantic atmosphere in Tauranga, and visitors give high marks for the abundant cafes, beaches and shopping. Tourists can also enjoy so much more including its parks. Top sights in the city include ASB Baypark and Mount Maunganui.
- There are 264 hotels and other accommodation options in Tauranga
- The closest major airport is in Tauranga (TRG), 4.4 mi (7.1 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Rotorua (ROT-Rotorua Regional), 27.9 mi (44.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Tauranga
The city's cultural venues include Tauranga Art Gallery and The Elms Mission House. Families come for attractions such as Tenpin Tauranga, Waimarino Adventure Park and Mount Hot Pools. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the beaches and these places to visit: Mount Maunganui, Memorial Park and Tauranga Domain.
In Katikati, there are 264 hotels and other accommodation choices so you can easily plan your perfect holiday retreat at an affordable rate. Here are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- 850 Cameron Motel - Guests who stay at this 4.5-star motel in Tauranga South can enjoy access to free parking and a coffee shop, along with an in-room kitchenette. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its quiet location and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Seascape Villa Bed & Breakfast - Our customers like the breakfast and overall value at this B&B. With a stay at this 4-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- Clarence Hotel - This 4-star hotel features a restaurant, free WiFi and free parking. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and location.
Other top sights in Tauranga include ASB Baypark. Popular places to see around the area include Lake Rotorua, 25.4 mi/40.9 km from the city centre, and Lake Rotoiti, which is 26 mi (41.9 km) away.
Dressing for Tauranga
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 23°C during the day and 14°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 20°C, whilst the average at night is 8°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 16°C with night-time averages of 8°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 22°C and night-time averages of 10°C
- Average annual rainfall for Tauranga is 1251 millimetres
- Usually February and January are the hottest months with an average of 22°C, whereas August and July are often coldest, averaging 8°C