Do not stay here
Posted 19-Apr-2016 on Hotels
My stay was unfortunate. There was a massive fire across the street. Because of the fire, the hotel lost its electricity. The fire occurred at 1:00am. The hotel failed to inform us of the fire and the reason behind the outage. We were on the backside of the hotel and clueless. Phones were out so calling the front desk could not happen. We finally found out why we had no power when we entered our floor's dark hallway and asked another guest. In the morning, we did not have a shower (no hot water), could not make coffee but most importantly had to "feel" our way down five flights of stairs in the dark. The emergency lights were out and there were no hotel employees to help us or even inform us on what had happened. When we finally did make it to the lobby the employees did not have safety plan and we're making excuses for not helping guests down the dark stairs. Obviously paying $160 a night should guarantee a hot shower and coffee, but most importantly, $160 a night should guarantee my safety.
Comment from Hotel Management
16-Jul-2016 by Brandi, Hotel Management
We apologize that there was a fire that happened across the street. We do apologize this affected our entire hotel and all guests.
Thank you for your feedback.