Find Hotels near Sofia Public Mineral Baths
The distinctive Sofia Public Mineral Baths building was designed in the neo-Byzantine style and completed in 1908. Now home to the Sofia History Museum, this striking building in the heart of Sofia is walking distance from Sofia’s central attractions, cafes and hotels.
The History of Sofia Public Mineral Baths
The baths opened to the public in 1913, and the following two years saw the addition of a garden in front of the main entrance. Inside the building was a large central pool, with two separate wings (male and female) with smaller mineral pools.
The building was restored several years after World War II, which saw the northern wing partially destroyed. Over the next few decades the baths continued to operate as normal, before permanently closing in 1986 due to further decline of the building. After lying empty for several years it was finally restored to its original state, and has been open as Sofia History Museum since 2015.
What Kind of Hotels Are near the Sofia Public Mineral Baths?
The Sofia Public Mineral Baths building occupies a prominent position in the heart of central Sofia, overlooking its own gardens and the Banya Bashi Mosque. In the area immediately south you’ll find a range of upmarket hotels. These include contemporary boutique properties along Vitosha Boulevard, traditional grand old hotels near the leafy City Garden, and deluxe accommodation from popular brands.
North of the baths there’s a wider range of one-, two- and three-star hotels – particularly in the streets around Lavov most metro station and the Sofia Central Railway Station. Here you’ll find many of central Sofia’s budget properties, including bed-and-breakfasts, guesthouses, backpacker hostels and cheap hotels and apartments.
What Are the Other Attractions near Sofia Public Mineral Baths?
The Mineral Baths building offers easy access to many other highlights of Sofia. Within a few minutes’ walk is the Central Sofia Market Hall, with its three storeys of food, clothing and souvenirs, while the pedestrianised Vitosha Boulevard, the National Archaeological Museum and the 4th-century Church of St George lie a few blocks further south.