History buffs will enjoy a visit to Shimonoseki, though all guests will undoubtedly appreciate the temples, museums and monuments. This scenic landscape, seaside city also attracts visitors with its dolphin viewing, whale watching and hot springs.
- There are 7 Shimonoseki hotels
- July is the most expensive month to travel here, whereas February is the most economical
- Closest major airport is in Kitakyushu (KKJ), 22.4 mi (36.1 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing around Shimonoseki
- Known for its museums, festivals and art, including cultural attractions, such as The Firefly Museum of Toyota Town, Shimonoseki Municipal Archaeological Museum, and Chofu Mori Residence
- Notable for its temples, monuments, historic sites and landmarks such as Sumiyoshi Shrine, Akama Shrine, and Sakurayama Shrine
- The hot springs, parks and gardens highlight the natural beauty, and places to visit include Chofu Garden, Hinoyama Park, and Mimosusogawa Park
- Shopping is one of the top reasons to visit, so consider an excursion to Karato Fish Market, Sea Mall Shimonoseki and Shimonoseki Fish Market
Getting around Shimonoseki
With so many convenient transport choices, getting around Shimonoseki is simple. To see more of the wider area, hop on a train at Kitakyushu Shimonoseki Station. You can ride a ferry across the water to see more of the area.
Staying in Shimonoseki
With 10 hotels and other accommodations in Shimonoseki, you'll find a holiday retreat at an affordable rate. There are 7 hotels ranging from GBP 31 to GBP 69 per night.
For family trips or any other travel plans, you might consider these top-rated, larger hotels:
- Dormy Inn Premium Shimonoseki
- Shimonoseki Station West Washington Hotel Plaza
A favourite with Expedia travellers is Dormy Inn Premium Shimonoseki with a 4.4 out of 5 user rating, whereas Shimonoseki Station West Washington Hotel Plaza has a 4.2 rating by guests.
Dressing for Shimonoseki
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 15°C and the nighttime average to be 3°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 27°C during the day and 9°C at night
- July to September averages 31°C during the day and 18°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 24°C during the day and 4°C at night
- Shimonoseki gets about 38 millimetres of rain per year