Get an overview of this hotelCentrally located near Civic Center, Union Square
Collecting Nectar Points
Simply enter your Nectar card number when you check out. Your points will be credited 35 days after you return from your trip.
*Terms and conditions apply.
Popular property highlights
Cable cars: 5 blocks
Built in 1908, The Opal is 5 blocks from the California Street cable car line. Union Square in downtown San Francisco is an 8-block stroll, with several dining and shopping venues, and the Civic Center cultural district is 5 blocks away.
Free wireless Internet is available in the lobby.
Guestrooms at The Opal offer complimentary high-speed wireless Internet access, 40-inch LED TVs with premium cable channels, and air conditioning. Local calls are complimentary.Information missing or incorrect? Tell us!Opens in a new window
The Opal San Francisco
Renovations & Closures
The Opal is situated in the heart of San Francisco, just five blocks from a cable car line, eight blocks from Union Square, and nine blocks from City Hall, the War Memorial Opera House, Davies Symphony Hall, and the Asian Art Museum, all within the Civic Center area.
A small fitness center is on site, and complimentary wireless Internet access is available.
Self parking is available (surcharge), and airport transportation is available for a surcharge.
- Safe-deposit box at front desk
- Luggage storage
- Designated smoking areas (fines apply)
- Fitness facilities
- Concierge services
- Designated smoking areas
- 24-hour front desk
- Laundry facilities
- Parking (limited spaces)
- Year Built 1908
- Tours/ticket assistance
- Total number of rooms - 167
- Dry cleaning/laundry service
- Free WiFi
- Number of floors - 5
- Self parking (surcharge)
- Number of buildings/towers - 1
- Airport transportation (surcharge)
- Multilingual staff
Family Friendly Amenities
- Family Hotel
- Free Wi-Fi
- Laundry facilities
- Cribs/infant beds (complimentary)
Available in all rooms: Free WiFi
Available in some public areas: Free WiFi
Self parking (surcharge), Parking (limited spaces)
- Air conditioning
- Private bathroom
- Bathtub or shower
- Blackout drapes/curtains
- Cable TV service
- In-room climate control (air conditioning)
- Free toiletries
- Free local calls
- Hair dryer
- Daily housekeeping
- Free WiFi
- Free cribs/infant beds
- LED TV
- Rollaway/extra beds (surcharge)
- Iron/ironing board
- iPod docking station
Where to Eat
Mel's Diner - Operated independently and located off the lobby, Mel's serves American favorites for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Nearby Things to Do
The on-site fitness center includes an exercise bike, treadmill, stairstepper, and free weights.
The recreational activities listed below are available on site or nearby; fees may apply.
If you have requests for specific accessibility needs, please note them at check-out when you book your room.
- Accessible bathroom
- Roll-in shower
- In-room accessibility
Check-in time ends at midnight
Check-in time starts at 3 PM
Special check-in instructions:
Check-out time is noon
Children and extra beds
- Children are welcome.
- Kids stay free! Up to 2 children 12 years old and younger stay free when using existing bedding.
- Rollaway/extra beds are available for USD 20.0 per night.
- Free cribs (infant beds)!
- Pets not allowed
You need to know
Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on property policy.
- Deposit: USD 50 per stay
- Destination fee: USD 2.62 per accommodation, per night
- Airport shuttle fee: USD 20.00 per person (one way)
- Airport shuttle fee per child: USD 20.00 (one-way), (from 0 to 18 years old)
- Self parking fee: USD 46.74 per day (in/out privileges)
- Late check-out fee: USD 100.00
- Rollaway bed fee: USD 20.0 per night
- Opal Hotel
- Opal Hotel San Francisco
- Opal San Francisco
- San Francisco Opal
- Opal San Francisco Hotel
- The Opal San Francisco Hotel San Francisco
We should mention
This property offers transfers from the airport (surcharges may apply). Guests must contact the property with arrival details before travel, using the contact information on the booking confirmation. Up to 2 children 12 years old and younger stay free when occupying the parent or guardian's room, using existing bedding.