Travellers to Reykjavik give high marks for the local tours, fascinating museums and abundant cafes. Walkable and welcoming, this city will delight tourists with its northern lights, shopping and restaurants. Top sights in the city include Reykjavik City Hall, Reykjavik Harbour and National Museum of Iceland.
- There are 565 hotels and other accommodation options in Reykjavik
- The closest major airport is in Reykjavik (RKV-Reykjavik Domestic), 1.2 mi (2 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Reykjavik (KEF-Keflavik Intl.), 23.2 mi (37.3 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Reykjavik
Well known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include National Museum of Iceland, Harpa and Reykjavik City Museum. Attractions like Laugardalslaug Geothermal Pool, Arbaejarlaug and Vesturbaejarlaug Swimming Pool are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for landmarks like Hallgrimskirkja, Perlan and National Cathedral.
In Kopavogur, you'll find 565 hotels and other accommodation choices to make planning your holiday getaway at an affordable rate. Here you'll find top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Guesthouse 1x6 - With a stay at this 3.5-star guesthouse, guests can enjoy access to a spa tub and a coffee shop, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its pool and helpful staff.
- Freyja Guesthouse & Suites - Our customers like the central location and clean, comfortable rooms at this guesthouse. Guests who stay at this 2.5-star guesthouse in Reykjavík 101 can enjoy access to free parking and a free shopping centre shuttle, along with free WiFi.
- Hotel Duus - This 3.5-star hotel features a marina, free breakfast and a restaurant. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and helpful staff.
Other favourite sights in Reykjavik include Reykjavik City Hall, Reykjavik Harbour and Laugavegur. Outside the city, popular places to see include Skalafell Ski Area, 15.8 mi/25.3 km from the heart of the city, and Thingvellir National Park, which is 27.7 mi (44.6 km) away.
Dressing for Reykjavik
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 5°C and the night-time average to be -2°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 13°C during the day and 0°C at night
- July to September averages 14°C during the day and 5°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 9°C during the day and -2°C at night
- About 804.80 millimetres of rain falls on Reykjavik each year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 13°C, while the coldest months are February and January with an average of -2°C