Visitors to Portsmouth are sure to enjoy the university setting. Tourists can also enjoy the city's churches, festivals and shopping.
- There are 8 hotels and other accommodation options in Portsmouth
- The closest major airport is in Huntington, WV (HTS-Tri-State), 34.7 mi (55.8 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing and Staying in Portsmouth
The picturesque setting of Shawnee State Park and Earl Thomas Conley Riverside Park exemplify the city's natural beauty. The university setting is a highlight of the city and Shawnee State University is worth a campus tour. Additionally, you might want to add Philip Moore Jr. Stone House to your agenda.
As you plan your holiday getaway, you'll find 8 hotels and other lodging options available to choose from in Portsmouth. These are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its dining options and comfortable, quiet rooms.
- Rodeway Inn & Suites - Our customers like the clean, comfortable rooms and bed quality at this hotel. This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, a restaurant and free WiFi.
- Super 8 by Wyndham Portsmouth - This 2-star motel features free breakfast, an indoor pool and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and comfortable rooms.
Top places to see outside the city include Ashland Town Center, located 25.5 mi (41 km) from the heart of the city, and Paramount Arts Center, which is 26.1 mi/41.9 km away.
Dressing for Portsmouth
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 17°C during the day and -5°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 30°C, whilst the average at night is 4°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 30°C with night-time averages of 9°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 23°C and night-time averages of -4°C
- Portsmouth gets about 1038.40 millimetres of rain per year
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 30°C, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging -4°C