The location is quiet and picturesque. The overall layout and design of the property is good. There were however a number of small points which detracted from the positive points;
1. The log burner chimney does not comply with building regulations: it is within 2.3 m of a Velux window but does not extend 1 m above the top of the opening, as required by Document J. Consequently, smoke was blown into the children's bedroom.
2. Ripped bin bag containing old bits of roofing chrysotile asbestos present adjacent wood store and accessible by children.
3. Bedroom doors had no door handles or locks.
4. Property described as child friendly but no fireguard for log burner or stair gates to stop toddler climbing the stairs every three minutes or falling down them from the landing.
5. No way to dry clothes: without lighting log burner. The absence of a tumble dryer and the presence of underfloor heating (ground source heat pump, which was very cool) meant we had no way to effectively dry wet clothes.
6. All knives in kitchen were blunt. No bread knife.
7. Chest of drawers in children's room repaired with incorrect length screws leaving razor sharp point inside drawer.
8. Not enough storage in bedrooms for one week stay.
Aside from these points, which are remedied quickly (apart from the chimney), the venue is quite spacious and pleasant.