Visitors will want to experience the restaurants, shopping, and bars in Hafnarfjordur. Welcoming and walkable, this city also attracts visitors with its tours, museums, and coffeehouses.
- There are 5 Hafnarfjordur hotels
- July is the most expensive month to travel here, while February tends to be the cheapest
- Closest major airport is in Reykjavik (KEF-Keflavik Intl.), 21.2 mi (34.2 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing around Hafnarfjordur
- Top activities include taking a tour and exploring the waterfront, while Reykjavik Harbour is one place to visit
- Well-known for its museums and attractions such as Hafnarborg, Museum of Hafnarfjordur, and National Museum of Iceland
- Popular attractions include Ishestar Riding Tours and Sudurbaejarlaug
- Notable landmarks include Hafnarfjordur Free Church, Hallgrimskirkja, and Perlan
- The natural beauty of the northern lights is picturesque, and places to visit include Hellisgerdi Park, Elf Garden, and Nautholsvik Geothermal Beach
- Shopping is a favourite activity, so consider an excursion to Smaralind and Kringlan Shopping Mall
Hafnarfjordur is adjacent to Kopavogur. Top sights in the area include Reykjavik City Hall and Natural History Museum of Kopavogur.
Getting around Hafnarfjordur
Hafnarfjordur has many options for getting around. You can travel down to the port to find out about water transportation.
Staying in Hafnarfjordur
Looking for a romantic getaway, a cosy spot, or a boutique stay? You might like these highly rated smaller hotels or specialty properties:
- Hotel Hafnarfjordur, averaging GBP 84.11/night
- Hotel Vellir, averaging GBP 85.94/night
Hotel Hafnarfjordur, a 3-star favourite with Expedia travellers, has a 4.3 out of 5 user rating. Also Hotel Vellir has a 4.2 rating by guests.
Dressing for Hafnarfjordur
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 5°C and the nighttime average to be -2°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 13°C during the day and 0°C at night
- July through September averages 14°C during the day and 5°C at night
- In October–December, the average temperature is 9°C during the day and -2°C at night
- About 780 millimetres of rain falls on Hafnarfjordur each year