We arrived in the evening to find a note to please remove our shoes. Okay, no problem. There was a shoe rack, but it had room for one pair of shoes as it had a couple pair and several soccer balls already on it. They knew there were five of us staying. The home is obviously their home. The layout is very nice, pleasantly decorated and comfortly furnished. However.....
I have sever allergies to mold. I noticed the issue within several minutes. My lungs began to feel irritated. I didn't mention as not to disquiet my family. Everyone settled into their rooms. My husband was in bed and adult children were also getting there. My husband heard my coughing and wheezing and said we were leaving, I couldn't stay, so made arrangements for a hotel. I didn't want to disturb the kids and didn't say anything earlier. We packed up and let the kids know I couldn't stay.
The kids stayed the night. The shower in the morning over flowed within two minutes of showering, so it was off and on showering for them. They called early that morning and we made arrangements at the hotel to all stay.
When we informed the owner of the issue he was incredulous and texted how he had never had any complaints before and only glowing reviews. We knew that. That is why it was booked.
Mildew issues can creep up on a home. Your nose can be blind to the issue for a long time if you don't have allergies. But it will become a problem. Our hope is the owners have a thorough inspection done under the house and especially around the bathroom. We don't want them to be sickened by it anymore than us.