Visiting Del Mar
Travellers to Del Mar give high marks for the beaches, top-notch restaurants and shopping. This city also attracts tourists with its festivals and cafes. Top sights in the city include Del Mar Beach, Del Mar Fairgrounds and Del Mar Racetrack.
- There are 78 hotels and other accommodation options in Del Mar
- The closest major airport is in Carlsbad, CA (CLD-McClellan-Palomar), 11.6 mi (18.7 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in San Diego, CA (MYF-Montgomery Field), 12.4 mi (20 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Del Mar
The city is well known for its festivals and cultural venues like Del Mar Fairgrounds. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the beaches and these places to visit: Del Mar Beach, Torrey Pines State Reserve and Torrey Pines State Beach. The city is well liked for its places to shop, and Del Mar Plaza is a favourite for retail therapy.
In San Diego, there are 78 hotels and other accommodation options to make planning easier for your holiday retreat at an affordable rate. Here you'll find highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar - This 3-star hotel features a restaurant, an outdoor pool and free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its bar and overall value.
- L'Auberge Del Mar - Our customers like the breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and 2 restaurants, along with free WiFi.
- Hilton San Diego Del Mar - Guests who stay at this 4-star hotel in Del Mar Heights can enjoy access to a restaurant and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and comfortable, quiet rooms.
Other top sights in Del Mar include Del Mar Racetrack. Popular places to visit around the area include La Jolla Cove, located 7.4 mi (11.9 km) from the city centre, and Legoland California, which is 12 mi/19.2 km away.
Dressing for Del Mar
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 19°C during the day and 9°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 22°C, whilst the average at night is 12°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 24°C with night-time averages of 17°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 23°C and night-time averages of 8°C
- About 9 millimetres of rain falls on Del Mar each year
- Usually August and September are the hottest months with an average of 24°C, whereas December and January are often coldest, averaging 9°C