Visitors to Bayonne are sure to enjoy the shopping, cathedrals and riverfront. Tourists can also enjoy the city's monuments, museums and parks. Top sights around the area include Musee Basque, Anglet Beach and Asiatica Museum of Asian Art.
- There are 61 hotels and other accommodation options in Bayonne
- The closest major airport is in Biarritz (BIQ-Pays Basque), 3.2 mi (5.2 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in San Sebastian (EAS), 18.4 mi (29.6 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Bayonne
The city is notable for its cathedrals and landmarks like Paroisse Notre-Dame de l'Assomption - Bayonne Centre, Cathedral of Saint Mary of Bayonne, and Bayonne Citadel. Shopping is one of the favourite things to do, so consider an excursion to L’Atelier du Chocolat, BAB 2 and Cazenave Chocolatier. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Musee Basque and Bayonne City Hall.
In Anglet, there are 61 accommodation choices and hotels to make planning easier for your holiday getaway at an affordable rate. Below are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- OKKO Hotels Bayonne Centre - With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a fitness centre, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its dining options and breakfast.
- Hôtel des Basses Pyrénées - Our customers like the dining options and beach locale at this hotel. With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and a bar, along with free WiFi.
- Hôtel Côte Basque - With a stay at this 2-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to parking and concierge services, along with cable TV. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and proximity to public transport.
In the surrounding area, top places to visit include Anglet Beach, 3.5 mi/5.6 km from the heart of the city, and Asiatica Museum of Asian Art, which is 4 mi (6.4 km) away.
Getting around Bayonne
To see more of the larger area, hop aboard a train at Bayonne Station. Bayonne might not have as many public transport choices so consider a car rental to maximise your time.
Dressing for Bayonne
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 15°C during the day and 5°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 22°C, whilst the average at night is 8°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 25°C with night-time averages of 14°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 22°C and night-time averages of 6°C
- Bayonne gets about 30 millimetres of rain per year
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 24°C, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 5°C