Traveller opinions: frequently asked questions
Below is a list of our frequently asked questions.
1. How long does it take to write a hotel review?
Approximately 5-15 minutes, depending on the review length.
2. What are the guidelines for writing a hotel review?
Please follow these guidelines:
- Please do not write any words in all caps.
- Please do not include hotel rates, rate ranges, or other pricing/promotional information.
- Please do not recommend or reference a hotel other than the one booked on this particular trip.
- Please write in English only.
- Please be as specific as possible. Your fellow travellers want to know exactly what you liked or disliked about your hotel.
- Please do not comment on or question other reviews or the content of this website, all of which is subject to change without notice.
- Please do not direct comments/questions to hotel staff.
- Please refer only to businesses you frequented during your stay at the hotel (for example, restaurants, bars, theatres, and shops).
- Please refrain from making false statements or unlawful remarks (as determined by Expedia in its sole discretion).
- Please refrain from profanity and other objectionable content (as determined by Expedia in its sole discretion).
- Please do not include telephone numbers, physical addresses, e-mail addresses, or any other information that can be linked to a specific individual.
- Please do not include HTML tags or URLs.
- Please do not quote material from websites, books, magazines, newspapers, or other sources.
- Please do not impersonate someone else or include any information about another person.
- You must be 18 or older to write a hotel review.
3. Do I need to give any personal, identifiable information?
You have the opportunity to provide your first name and last initial if you wish, but this is an option, not a requirement.
5. Will the hotel (service/supplier) contact me after I post the review?
No, we will not pass on customer information to hotels in connection with reviews.
6. Will Expedia contact me after I post a hotel review?
Depending on the review content submitted, you may be contacted by one of our customer care agents after you post a hotel review.
7. Will the hotel know that I posted a review?
No, since Expedia does not provide the hotel with information regarding our customers in connection with hotel reviews the hotel will not know that you posted the review. However, if specific incidents that occurred during the trip are mentioned, the hotel may be able to deduce your identity.
8. Why should I write a hotel review?
Writing a hotel review allows you to share your knowledge and expertise with other travellers, which helps them make informed decisions when selecting hotels for their next trip.
9. Will my hotel review be edited?
No, we are unable to edit hotel reviews or otherwise touch data entered by our customers. Therefore, hotel reviews must meet all guidelines before they will be published. You must read and follow our hotel review guidelines before submitting the review.
11. Is there a deadline for writing and submitting my hotel review?
You can write and submit your hotel review anytime within the six months following the completion of your hotel stay.
12. What is the difference between a traveller opinion and the star ratings?
Star Ratings are Expedia’s official indicators of the general quality of a particular hotel. Traveller Opinions are hotel reviews written by customers who have recently stayed at the hotel, just like you. These reviews are based solely on customer opinions and do not reflect the official position of Expedia, Inc.; nor do we endorse the information contained within these hotel reviews.
13. Where will I find the hotel review on the site?
Expedia displays the 25 most current hotel reviews for the hotel. If you visit the informational pages for the hotel you reviewed, you may see it displayed under "Traveller Opinions"
14. What is the scale for traveller opinion scores?
The lowest score is 1 and the highest score is 5.
15. Do I have to register or create an account to write a hotel review?
Yes, you must be a registered Expedia customer in order to write a hotel review. Please note: You cannot write reviews about hotels you stayed in before you created your account.
16. Do I need to stay at a hotel to write a review?
Yes, you must have booked with Expedia and stayed at the hotel in order to be eligible to write a hotel review.
17. I’ve stayed at a hotel, why can’t I review it?
You're required to log in to your Expedia account before you can write a hotel review. If you have multiple accounts, please log in with the same account you used to book the hotel when attempting to write a review of it.
18. Why can't I see my hotel review anymore?
We only display the 25 most current hotel reviews. To keep the reviews up-to-date and relevant all hotel reviews expire after 18 months
Your use of the hotel review service is subject to the website terms and conditions of use.
The top 5 best ranked hotels are determined by Expedia at the end of each calendar month using the average score from reviews posted in the previous 18 months. Hotels must have a minimum of three reviews in order to be ranked. Please note as new reviews are posted on a daily basis the average score is subject to change.
The reviews contained within this site are solely the opinions of Expedia’s customers and do not reflect opinions or positions of Expedia, Inc. or its subsidiaries or affiliates. Expedia does not endorse the reviews contained herein and makes no warranty or representation to the accuracy of the reviews. Please refer to our website terms and conditions of use for more information.