We booked this hotel based upon the good reviews. I can't imagine why there are good reviews. The owners decided years ago to stop making any improvements or updates to the rooms. The wallpaper was old and depressing along with the decor. The lighting fixtures had rust in places. My husband called the free breakfast a science experiment. He took a bite of a patty at breakfast and had no idea what he was eating. However the bed was comfortable, the night clerk was nice, and the cleaning staff were professional and hard working. It is a shame the owners lack of upkeep leave their workers with such a depressing place to maintain. I personally will never go to a Quality Inn again.
Comment from Hotel Management
21-Sep-2014 by Ray, Hotel Management
Dear Kathy, Thank you for taking the time to complete our on-line survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We value your feedback and appreciate knowing if we did not meet or exceed your expectations in any way. Thank you for your kind words about our pleasant and hardworking staff. Each member of my staff is dedicated to ensuring that our guest’s experience is more than just a pleasant stay and it’s nice to receive positive feedback. I will share this with them. I am sorry to hear that our breakfast and your room did not meet your expectations. We offer a variety of breakfast items, including but not limited to: make-your-own waffles, yogurt, and muffins, which are all purchased from a Choice Hotel approved vender, G.F.S. I’m happy to announce that between December & June of this year renovations on our breakfast room were completed, and the ground floor rooms received new carpet, vanities, & sinks. New carpet was installed in the ground floor hall, all rooms received 32” LED or LCD TVs, and 80% of the rooms received new beds. Over the next year, the other 20% of rooms will receive new beds, the second & third floor rooms will have new vanities & sinks installed, and other room upgrades are also being planned. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience. Sincerely, Pamela W GSM